Activities in the Tasman and Nelson Regions
Almyra Luxury Accommodation at Kina is centrally located at the top of New Zealand's beautiful South Island.
This makes it an ideal base from which to explore the variety of attractions in the area and to venture into the national parks of the region, including Abel Tasman National Park, Kahurangi National Park and Nelson Lakes National Park. All our national parks are within an easy drive.
Many of our guests just like to sit awhile and admire the magnificent views of Mt Arthur in the Kahurangi Ranges and the ever changing ebb and flow of the Kina estuary inlet, or walk around the garden and listen to the birds.
We're only a scenic 30 minute drive from Nelson's Airport, 10 minutes to the township of Motueka, 30 to the golden sands of Kaiteriteri and 40 minutes to the Abel Tasman.
If you are looking for a bit more activity, the property adjoins the estuary with a pathway that runs alongside the estuary and out to the end of the Kina Peninsula. Our local natural beach at Kina is just a 1 minute walk from Almyra at Kina.
From the beach you can swim, fish, kayak or just wander along the beach and collect shells from the shore. The beach enjoys safe swimming and has uninterrupted views of DÚrville Island and across Tasman Bay to Nelson and beyond.
Kina is a mere 10 minutes drive to the highly sought-after coastal township of Mapua. This is situated on the edge of the Waimea estuary with sandy beaches where you can soak up the sun or walk for miles. Nestled in the heart of Tasman's wine and craft region that has more sunshine than anywhere else in New Zealand, Mapua has award winning cafés and restaurants right on your doorstep. Many are on the fascinating wharf that also has a smoked fish outlet, aquarium, craft shops and boutique brewery.
The Tasman and Nelson regions were used as Lord of the Rings film locations and we welcome Lord of the Rings visitors and enthusiasts to Almyra.
Tasman Bay is a haven for craftsman including artists, sculptors, wood turners and potters who are keen to show their work in their studios and art galleries.
The wonderful climate of Nelson and Tasman means that wine tasting of world class wines at the many local vineyards is an ideal way to spend a few hours of a day.
Activities accessed within walking distance or a 5 minute drive
- Coffee or lunch at the funky Jester House Café or 10 minutes drive to one of the excellent award winning Mapua cafes.
- Golf at Tasman Golf Club.
- Safe swimming beaches, stroll to Kina Beach.
- Wine tasting and vineyard visits - why not enjoy a wine tasting at Kina Cliffs Vineyard.
- Walking - stroll along the beach.
- Biking - cycle into Motueka and enjoy the coastal cycle path.
- Artists' studios and galleries.
- Boating & kayaking.
- Fishing and bird watching.
- Boat ramp.
- Local dairy, selling fresh bread, croissants, milk eggs etc
Within 10 minutes drive
The township of Motueka with:
- Shops &, restaurants, cafés, cinemas and museum.
- 18-hole golf course and mini golf
- Kayaking, jet boating, fishing
- Skydiving, gliding, microlight flying, aerial acrobatics
- Horse trekking
- 4 x 4 Motorbike adventures
- Roadside fruit stalls where you can buy locally grown fruit & vegetables
- Motueka Sunday Market for produce and arts and crafts
Within 30 -40 minutes drive
- Kaiteriteri with its golden sandy beaches; water sports and water taxi service to Abel Tasman National Park.
- Marahau - gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park - from where you can walk in to the Abel Tasman National Park or catch a water taxi to one of the beautiful sandy beaches or Awaroa inlet.
- Rabbit Island - where you can walk for miles along soft sandy beaches.
- Nelson City with its many attractions, including Nelson Cathedral and the World of Wearable Arts Museum. Wander around South Street with its art & pottery studios or just soak up the cafe culture in Trafalgar Street and watch the world go by.
- Nelson Airport is an easy 40 minute drive from Almyra at Kina, with direct domestic flights to our major cities.
- Monterey House Cafe in the beautiful Orinoco Valley. Treat yourselves to breakfast and while away the early morning while you listen to the birds sing or later on, enjoy a delightful lunch (Advance bookings advisable) while sampling the local wines before wandering around the gardens.
- Play Golf at one of 5 golf courses in the area.
- Visit Ngarua Caves on Takaka Hill or the pure fresh water of the Resurgence.
- Enjoy a wine or bicycle tour in Nelson. We recommend Velo Vino.
Within 1-2 hours drive:
- Explore the dramatic landscape of the mountains of Kahurangi National Park or the Rainbow Ski fields and lakes of Nelson Lakes National Park.
- Visit Golden Bay with its beautiful sandy beaches and the famous fresh water springs at Te Waikoropupu (Pupu) Springs or catch some fresh salmon for your dinner at Anatoki Salmon Farm.
- Visit Farewell Spit & Puponga Farm Park and take a Farewell Spit Eco tour or Cape Farewell Horse Trek or a guided nature tour. For the more adventurous take a Remote Adventure Scenic Flight to view the Heaphy Track and Lord of the Rings Sites.
- Wharariki Beach on the Whareriki Beach on the West coast with its amazing windswept sand dunes.
- Enjoy coffee or lunch at the Naked Possum cafe with its outdoor fire & eco tannery & possum shop, at the entrance to the Kaituna Walking Track.
"I cant believe Nelsonians get to wake up in this amazing paradise every morning" Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings).
And to find out what is going on in the Abel Tasman and Nelson region - look here.
Almyra at Kina, Luxury Bed & Breakfast &, Self-Contained Accommodation
193 Kina Peninsula Road, Kina Peninsula, Tasman, Nelson, New Zealand 7173
Ph/Fax: +64 3 526 6840 Mobile: +64 21 232 6089